Thomas Metcalf School
Thomas Metcalf School is a K–8 laboratory school for children. It contains Hayden Auditorium.
Thomas Metcalf School was named after Thomas Metcalf, a mathematics teacher at Illinois State from 1862–1894. In 1862, Metcalf succeeded Edwards as Principal. In the fall, he joined Edwards as a teacher of mathematics. In 1874, President Edwards appointed Metcalf as training teacher, a position he held for 20 years.
Hayden Auditorium was named after Annie Wezette Hayden in 1960. She was a first grade teacher at the Metcalf School from 1921–1956. The current location of the school opened in 1955.
The Thomas Metcalf School is located next to Fairchild Hall on South University Street.