Colby Hall opened in 1962 and was named after Dr. June Rose Colby (1858–1941), a Professor of English from 1892–1931. Colby was a beloved teacher and one of the first feminists of her time. She joined Illinois State Normal University in 1892 as a preceptress and Professor of Literature. Colby was also a writer who contributed to professional journals.
Colby Hall is located in the southeast corner of campus on Dale Street.