Julian Hall is home to Administrative Technologies and Computer Infrastructure Support Services (CISS). The Departmental Offices for Chemistry and Biological Sciences are located on the second floor, which is connected by a skyway to the 3rd floor of the Science Lab Building. Chemistry has additional offices, classroom facilities, labs and a Resource Center for students in Julian Hall.
Julian Hall was named after Percy Lavon Julian, the grandson of a slave. Julian was a world-renowned chemist and civil rights worker. He served on the University's Board of Regents from 1967-1973. He earned his master's degree from Harvard University in 1923 and then a doctorate in 1931 from the University of Vienna, Austria.
Julian developed the mass production of hormones and helped with the availability of birth control pills and the synthesis of a drug used to treat glaucoma. The building opened in 1970 and was dedicated to Julian in 1974. It was originally East Gate Hall. The Second Floor was renovated in 2003 to provide modern departmental offices for Biological Sciences and Chemistry, and additional facilities for Chemistry and campus administrative units.
Julian Hall is located next to the Science Laboratory Builidng on the corner of S. School St. and W. North St.