Horton Field House is home to the Athletics Department and the Redbird Swimming team. It also houses part of the School of Kinesiology and Recreation.
Horton Field House was named after Dr. Clifford "Pops" Horton, director of the men's Health and Physical Education Department at Illinois State for 33 years. He served at the University from 1923-1961 and Horton Field House opened in 1963. It was the first major building on the West campus - a field house for men's physical education, which replaced McCormick gym. The field house contains 8,000 seats.
The Horton Pool, located at the west end of the Horton complex, was built for speed and has remained that way. The six-lane pool is where 23 of the 24 Illinois State school swimming records have been set. Through the years, Redbird swimmers have claimed six Midwest Independent titles, three National Independent championships and six conference titles while training at their convenient home. Still considered a 'fast pool,' the facility also includes a dry board inside and outside the pool for training, a trampoline, a hot tub for relaxing sore muscles and inspiring "Redbird Spirit" decor painted on the walls.
Horton Pool will be on the right side at the west end of Horton Field House, north of Redbird Arena.